Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mad-Town

Not sure how to begin this little blog post. Last week Friday, I packed and loaded all of my stuff and headed to Madison for IMOO '08. First Ironman for me to witness and I was caught way way off guard about the emotions that would come over me. I had no idea what to expect, the look of the racers out working to achieve the end goal. But first a quick weekend recap:


Friday: Dan, Jason, Nick and Casey met at my house to load and start the caravan to Mad-town. As always Dan started busting my ass for the amount of stuff I had packed, apparently I pack like a female. I had all of my swim, bike and run stuff. Plan was to get up Saturday morning and get some fun easy training in; so I felt it was all justified. We arrive to town about 2ish, get checked in and head to State Street, which became pretty much the general meeting spot all weekend. Stopped at a great little bar and sat outside to watch people and get our drink on, which we did!! It got pretty drunk out early on Friday and the stories that followed Saturday morning from people that I didn't even know where town, yet knew about my evening were very very entertaining.


Saturday: My mom and I had previously talked about the Farmers Market around the capital and how cool it was. So that is where I started Saturday. I was more than likely still not so sober as I walked around the market. Figuring a cup of java would do the trick I made my first of many trips to Starbucks, no luck, but good coffee. Went back to the room, took a little nap and than went for a run with Dan and Monster. Dan was in rough shape after Friday night and was looking just to do about an hour of easy running. It ended up slightly longer than that, but we were on a mission for him and Monster to find an ink shop for new body markings. With Magellan in the lead we were bound to get lost, which happened. Why do I follow the one guy that gets lost going around the block? We went out again Saturday night and met up with the girls (Jen, Jmac, CY and Merilee) for another night of fun. Went back to my favorite new Madison bar for more Black-n-Tans. Must of had myself about 1500 Black-n-Tans over the weekend, they were oooooh so good.


Sunday (Race Day): Got up, jumped on the bikes and headed to the swim started. I wasn't moving overly fast yet (see # of Black-n-Tans consumed to answer any questions) so I missed the swim start, but was able to watch a majority of the swim and the lead guys run into T1, they were moving. They run faster out of the water than I run the 3rd leg of the race! Back to Starbucks for coffee and a muffin! Sunday afternoon was spent walking the bike course after we were giving poor info as where to met everyone for the BBQ. No worries though, it was a great day and I was able to see everyone on the bike and they looked awesome. Went back to the room, had a few more cocktails in the free bar, jumped on the bikes and went to watch everyone running. This is where the emotions started. Seeing the sheer determination, grit and up coming pride that each athlete was heading towards was simply amazing. I've seen the races on TV, but to be there is a whole different feeling.


Monday ('09 Sign-up): John, Kate and I got up, packed the vehicles and headed down to registration for next year. I had been on the fence all weekend about getting my spot for '09, but after watching people finish I knew this was a race I must do next year. I got my spot and am now just waiting for an email to sign up and pay, that its the real deal!! I am just smiling thinking about crossing the finish line next year.


The weekend was a total success for me. I took responsibility, self concern and caution and tossed it out the window when I hit town. And for those that were there with me, well, they saw it. To all of the finishers, GREAT JOB!!!

Saturday night crew at the Irish Pub for Black-n-Tans

4 comments:

Sara said...

Very cool you decided to do it! The training really is not that bad, except for that last week of open water swimming when it is cold out!

EZnJ said...

Sweet, you got in!! So how long did you have to stand in the rain before you could sign up? Julie(there for moral support)and I were at the back of the volunteer line but got inside around 9:15. I'm in too, so I guess this means an even larger group of IMOOers than I thought. Should be a fun year.

-E

Matt said...

Wow... You left out all the good stuff.
...Or maybe you don't remember it.

Anonymous said...

I can't even think of black and tans yet!