Monday, August 4, 2008

Just Me and Jack....

Well, its been about 2 weeks now since Rach has been in NC, man have Jack and I had a ball. Okay, so we haven't. I am training for the last 2 races of the season and he sleeps on the back of the couch. We get to talk to Rach, yes we. When she calls I put her on speaker and Jack barks at her. She is having fun so far in the south. Went to visit her new job last Monday and meet the folks she will be working with. Her hand is healing nicely she tells me and that she thinks she will be able to start working the middle of next week. Scabs have come and gone on a few of the wounds, so thats good. The big one in the meaty part of the hand is taking a little longer than she wants.

Training is going well, not very motivated right now, but still getting the workouts in. After Pigman I am done for the '08 and will start the off season; frozen pizza, beer, wings, etc. Man I love the off season!!!

On Saturday mornings training ride in WI, I was back home for my brother in laws high school grad party, I got to flag down a sheriff and tell him about an injuried cyclist. I was in the middle of one of my efforts when up the road I was 2 riders. I assumed they were just kids, they were in the middle of the road, than back on the right side, than they would veer out into the center again. Well, when I got up to them, one of them had crashed. He wasn't bleeding or broken at all. Just full of gravel and looked really dazed; they weren't kids either. They were a married couple that looked to be about 50-55. The gentlemen had went down and the wife was trying to steady him. I stopped, becasue I am a nice guy, and offered assistance, water, my cell phone, really anything that they might need me to do. They said they were fine, I double checked with them and went on with my ride. I got back into the effort, head down and spinning well. Up over a rise I see a sheriff coming towards me. I flag him down explain the situation with the married couple and where I saw them. He wants my name and number, I guess he thought I was pretty good looking and maybe wanted to grab dinner and drinks, ha. They called me about 45 minutes later and said they found the riders and that everything was okay. It was a little wierd to come up on an incident like that. I was in no mans land again, not hardly even seeing cars let a lone other riders. The rest of the ride was pretty normal, I rode around the Eau Claire/Chippewa County roads and even went to "play" in the hills by the apple orchards. There are a set of 3 that make he wonder how the guys in the Tour are able to climb hills like they do.



Getting up at the but crack of stupid tomorrow morning to meet the normal open water crew at Cedar and hopefully do a Splash-n-Dash workout. Swim about 700-750 yards, get out, run roughly a mile at a good clip, jump back in the lake and swim back to the second pair of shoes. Should be a good workout if the usual number of folks show up for it. I did it once or twice last year and its fun.



Last weekend I canoed for a swim buddy while he did the Lake Minnetonka 5 Mile Challenge. The swim was unfortunatly shortened to 4 miles, e coli was invading the finishing beach. That didnt stop some folks from doing all 5 miles. I paddled last year for him as well, its a good time and quite the distance to swim. I am not sure if I would be smiling like he was while doing it. I can't get the photos to upload of the event, I'll try again later this week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted Marky-Mark! I was thinking you had packed up and went to NC to see Rach or something!!

I'm really just jealous about this splash and dash thing....I really hate living in small town Iowa knowing you peeps in Minnesota are having so much fun. Hence why you all kick my but at the races! =)

What's this IM Wisconsin spectating thing on your schedule?! Seriously, isn't it about time to jump in and join the fun? Maybe you should sign up for next year's race while you are there???