Monday, August 25, 2008

60 minutes including ice cream

So, as of 2+ weeks ago my season was done. I think that I've pretty much made that clear. So last weekend I said how I had a nice ~10 mile ride with my dad. So again virtually no training since the week prior to Turtleman. I contacted a fellow training partner Friday to see if they were interested in an easy coffee ride on Sunday. Nothing serious, maybe an hour stop for coffee and call it a day. Well, this partner, lets call them "S Nelson" for the sake of the post, had a big run Fri/Sat and was more than happy to do an easy ride and get some ice cream, but only if it was from McDonald's. So I meet up with S Nelson at the trail head in St Louis Park and headed east toward Mpls. We continued east until we got to Hiawatha and than meet up with West River Rd. From there we went by the Falls, past Fort Snelling, around the airport, over the 494 bridge, into Eagan and Mendota Heights. Continued into Lilydale and finally St. Paul. Now St. Paul was mentioned at the beginning of the ride to see the Xcel and if they had done anything for the upcoming Republican National Convention. They haven't done much as of yet, in case you were wondering yourself. So follow some roads in downtown St. Paul and wind over to Grand Ave to Bread & Chocolate. A great little treat store that I found earlier this year after my vO2 max test. I had 1-1/2 coffees, we each refilled our lone water bottles, again we planned for 60 minutes and ice cream or coffee, and headed back west. By now, S Nelson, was wanting the fastest way back to the Park and Edina. So we headed back towards Minnehaha Park and took the trails to Nokomis. Followed the parkway to Harriet and Calhoun. Making our way back to the commuter trail and straight west towards the end. We split ways at the trail head were we met up and I rode the ~6 miles back home. All in all it was a great ride, awesome weather and I had not chatted with this riding partner in a few days so it was nice to get caught up. I hope everyone was able to get out and enjoy the great Midwest weather that we had last weekend.

By the way, about 60 miles total for me; and NO ice cream. Last time I do an easy 60 minute ride with S Nelson.

No comments: