Sunday, August 17, 2008

10 years, like we never lost contact

I loaded up the truck and headed back to EC for the 2nd time in 3 weekends. Jack and I left town Friday evening on what promised to be a great time. I was heading home to see an old high school buddy that I had not seen in roughly 6-8 years. He is back at his parents for a few months, in a transition stage, moving from out east back to CO. He was hired by his parents to re-landscape the walk way and steps from the yard to the river. Like I said, the weekend promised to be a good one. We had spoke about water skiing, hanging out on the pontoon and just generally getting caught up with each other. For those that don't know, I played hockey until I was a senior in high school. Politely told the coach he was an ass and left the team mid-season. Dan, the old friend and another fellow senior walked off of the team with me that same night. I had to talk Dan into skating both his junior and senior years, I think the deal maker was I would drive to school and practice.
Jack and I got into town Friday about 7:30ish and I went straight to see Dan. I had a few cocktails with him and his parents down by the river and than went out to watch some buddy's play softball a few miles from my parents house. I ended up at a bonfire and got to bed about 3:30ish. Jack was a real trooper Friday night. He was very well behaved and stayed by my side all night. My old softball team mates had informed me of games they were playing during the weekend and it was another great way to see more folks while I was home. Showing up to the field, I had to laugh. All of the matching uniforms, pants, shoes, batting gloves, etc; its pretty comically. When I played roughly 250-300 games a year, it all seemed normal. Now, they look like morons, but they're all having fun.
Saturday morning I woke up after about 4 hours of sleep, Jack's revenge for not letting him lay around Friday night was to wake me up about 7:15 so he could go out and pee. I was pretty "head achy" and very very dehydrated. Gotta love Wisconsin, I cross the border at Hudson and almost instantly get drunk. I hung out at my parents house for the little while, went back to the ball field for some of the morning's games before going back to the water and helping with the landscape work.
I hauled rock and helped where and when I could with the redesign of the walk way. Had a great time and than, FINALLY we got out on the water later in the afternoon. Meet up with my parents that were already out, my aunt and uncles and even my Grandpa was out, in rare form as always. He is real character!!! Had a few cocktails on the boat, worked on beating Dan in "Splash Dives" and entertained his parents for about 30 minutes as we acted like 12-14 year old's jumping off of the dock again.
The weekend was exactly what I had hoped for. I even got bike ride in with my dad this morning. I had blast checking up with friends and reminiscing about old times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend...perfect for a super off-season start!

Sara said...

I totally agree about the drunkenness in WI. You need something to go with the brats and cheese right?!?!