Tuesday, July 1, 2008

1st Ride

So last night I took the new red machine out for its first little spin; I have yet to name it. This is a bike that I build with some help from Jeremy and Jason. The only down fall is not having a bike stand. So Rachel, my lovely lovely wife, would come home and the living room would look like a bomb was just set off. I had bike parts, tools, cables, etc all over the room. Poor Jack just sat on the top of the couch out of the way wondering "....what is he was doing, why is he yelling at himself and where did that blood on the back of his hand come from." Damn chain rings!! For those that have built up a bike before, you know it takes a little patience; something that I am pretty sure I was not blessed with. But nonetheless, it got built, tweaked, tweaked again and finally ready to roll. I had to steal the seat post off of my wife's bike in order to ride my new machine; she is busy with school and work so she wouldn't notice anyway. WRONG...the saddle had not been on my bike 4 hours. She comes home from class and wonders why her seat is missing off of her bike, one she has not ridden since last fall. Guys, I am not sure how women can pick something like that out, but that is a gift. She can't find her shoes most days, but a seat missing off of a bike that has been stowed away in a corner, whamO!!
Last night I was lucky enough to have a great ride with Shelley; although I am pretty sure she will never ride with me again. I am still pretty new to this whole cycling/tri community, so some of the unwritten rules are lost on me. I guess wearing shorts that are blue/red/white/yellow do not go with a red/black top. Strike one for the evening. Strike two came when we started to run into people that we knew, not that bad, they know that I am a a bit odd, but when we ran into a few people that just Shelley knew, she was not impressed with my fashion show. Don't feel bad S Nelson, Rachel agreed with you, I looked like a dork.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun times! Don't you just love a new bike? I would NEVER be able to put my own bike together...hell, I can barely pump my own tires most days.

Cheers to a new bike and NOT being a fashion statement!