Monday, July 14, 2008

Up North

Another fun filled weekend of racing. Again Mother Nature decided to throw us a curve ball in the shape of wind, choppy water and cool cool temperatures for the middle of July. This past weekend took myself and 14 fellow racers to Grand Rapids, MN for the 24th running of the Timberman Triathlon. The group had rented 2 condos about 500 yards from the race site, making it very very convenient for getting ready on Saturday morning. Being at the race venue for the weekend, it took me a little while to get my game face on Saturday. We woke up, took our gear to transition and then went back to eat and get ready for the race. Now its at this point were I felt like I was waiting around for that last person to show up at an early morning group ride. But nonetheless I got back to transition a little before 7 and started to warm up, get marked and pick up my timing chip. Slowly but surely the game face was coming out; well the best game face I have.
The swim, like I said was little choppy. The water temp was said to be about 62, I think it was much warmer than that however. Upon exiting the water I heard a few people yelling that I was 6th out of the water. Sweet!! I got through T1 a little slower than I would have liked, but I was told I was still in 6th position leaving the resort grounds to go and battle the hills and wind that were waiting for me. About 1 mile into the ride I saw 2 racers up a head and set my sights on them. I over took the first one rather quickly, happy to now be 5th. Just as quick as I had that thought I remembered a few of other racers that typically beat me, they are old and had to start 3 minutes after me; I started in the 40 and under wave. Regardless of that thought I was gunning for a top 10 and a top 3 in the 25-29 age group. I continued to bear down on the rider in front of me and overtook him just before the first big climb. This was a new bike course, 2 loops. Each loop having many a hill to climb and again plenty of wind. I was now in 4th spot for the random spectators along the road. About 3/4's of the way into the first loop, WHHHOOOOOSSSSSH!!!!! Holy crap, it would have been less embarrassing if I was anchored to the road when I was passed by this 41 and over wave starter. I was very supportive and yelled "Go get Rhett they can't be far ahead!!" Okay, so I was passed by Rhett Bonner. He's good if your wondering. I held my spot for the next 10-15 miles before in about the same spot on the climb Brooks got me. WTF!!! I was hoping I was a better rider/climber than this. Not today. Again, no hard feelings...if Brooks wouldn't have gotten me on he bike I can guarantee you he was going to crush me on the run. Basically it was inevitable that he was coming as well. I was passed by one more rider and than beat him out of T2, Steve something or another. Nice guy, you know the kind that's able to carry on a conversation during the run as you are pretty much red lined. My run was my normal run....foot issues AGAIN for the first mile and half and than it loosened up and got better. I ran one of my better 10k times and finished 13th overall and 3rd in my age group. Not the top 10 I was gunning for, but with the 3 pros in the field finishing all in the top 5, that makes it a little tough. I am super happy with my race and got a sweet minnow bucket as an age group award. This is a great race and I can't wait to do the Silver Anniversary next year.
For the most part this blog is about me and racing and training. But now as I sit and ponder what is coming up in the next 2 weeks, it sucks. Rach is heading to NC for 3 months on the 25th. I didn't really think that it was going to be that big of deal, 12 weeks right. Well, now that its 11 days away, I'm pretty bummed. I wish her well, she is doing great in school and will do great in NC as well. She has a ton of work experience and is super knowledgeable in her field. The one nice thing is that she will being staying with her aunt and uncle in Charlotte. Being surrounded by family will help here out and with phone/email we are really never that far apart. So sweet-heart, I will miss you dearly and wish you the very best in finishing your schooling!!!! Knock 'em dead Racecar! (okay, maybe not the best line, seeing how she will be dealing surgical patients)

3 comments:

Cy said...

Hi Mark- Great report!

I'm surprised the blod did not include the post race festivities. It woudl have been fun to be there with your guys.

EZnJ said...

To the master of Catch-Phrase, I say congrats on a great race!! The weather certainly could have been better, but with good friends, we made up for it. Next year's weather will be perfect and maybe some grillin' and outside sippin' will be in order. Oh, nice picture #647 on Minnefota Moments. Maybe you're the master of something else.

juliemac said...

What a great weekend, YES!
Great times with great friends.
Great job on your race Mark!

3 months, that is a long time......good thing there is email, texting, skype these days to help feel a little closer!