Monday, June 30, 2008

Ocean like Conditions.....




So, for those that follow this blog, which is few, because most of you have other things to do; we had Waconia this weekend. I am not sure how to describe the thoughts and emotions going through my head prior to the swim. For those that were there, it was a little choppy on the water front. Katie, if your reading this post, I hope you can find photos and see the ocean like conditions that we were able to swim in. As Dan said, "Jezzzz, Alcatraz wasn't even this bad" I was happy to have survived my first fresh water ocean swim, although a boogie board and fins would have made it more enjoyable. Plus the additional length of the board shorts could have hidden the sweet bike short tan lines I am getting again.


So exiting the water I was in my usual spot, near the end. But I knew going into this season stepping up to the elite level I would have a year of chasing the faster folks and hope to see improvements; which I have so I am totally fine with my season so far. Get into T1, winds still just gusting from the north off of the lake. Take of on the bike at a 45 degree angle into the wind to stay upright and off we go for 24 miles of fun. My bike was considerable faster than I had figured it would be based on the wind. We were able to head south for a section of road; sweeeet tail wind!!! It was a little odd, when we made the turn it became silent. Just you, the bike and the hum of the race wheels. For those with Zipps you know the sound I am attempting to describe. I covered the bike course in a little over an hour. My left foot, remember the last post, was little bit of a bother on the bike so I was unsure how the run was going to go. I took off like molasses in January on the 4 mile pancake flat course. Okay thats a lie, the 1st mile is a death march; no lie. At the top of the hill is a cemetery!!! My foot loosened up after the 1st quarter to half mile, but I was a little nervous to push it and risk ending my season early again due to injury again. So I settled into what I thought was a rather easy pace and had fun. I was thanking the many wonderful volunteers for helping out and allowing all of us to partake in another morning of racing. I even thanked a group of high school aged kids for coming out and cheering just for me; that was so nice of them. I finished 25th overall and got beat by a few age groupers, but I think if I would have raced the run I might have cracked the top 20. All in all it was a good race for me, exactly what I needed after last weekends debacle in Des Monies.


Speaking of Des Monies, my newest fan base made the drive to MN to spend time with their real son and cheer on their new adopted son, ME. Thanks for coming and cheering us on Bill and Annette, you guys ROCK!!!


I have to give credit to everyone that made it through the swim. From the people I talked to pre/post race, the last one they can think of that was even close to being that bad was the BOUS when it was at Lake Minnetonka 2 years ago. Ooooh how we all learned to love white caps on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hearing about the water conditions reminds me of arriving in Clearwater for 70.3 Worlds and calling Coach almost in tears because of the 4-6 foot breaking swells. I thought I was going to die!!! Swimming in open water is hard enough...throw in some wind and waves and all of the sudden it becomes a hang on for dear life and don't die kind of day!

Great race there Marky-Mark! Love the picture of you on the bike...you look so speedy!!

The RynO said...

Hey buddy...

Nice job bouncing back from Iowa and racing Waca-waca-waca. The swim conditions sound familiar, I guess I should appreciate training in a bay when it comes to open-water. The choppier the better!

Nice work on the new bike and getting that ready to roll. Plus, I saw nothing wrong with your style when you went riding with Shelley. ;-)

Keep in touch Cuz!