Monday, June 2, 2008

2nd at Buffalo Tri

Well, we gave it our best...literally. Team 2 Tri's and a Guy had big days in Buffalo, but came up a little short. The day s was picture perfect, couldn't have been a better day for my first relay triathlon. Jim Drew, I swim with him at masters, started the relay with, you guessed it the swim. He had the 4th fastest overall swim time; fastest relay swim, covering the 1.5km distance in a blazing 18:59. I had him run a short distance through transition to meet me near the bike out, avoiding the rest of the relay teams and transition congestion. I was off on what was my 1st 40km time trial. Now I've raced Olympic distance events in the past but, usual have to run once I am done biking. Not today. I took of as hard as I could, and in the words of fellow tri friend Jason Bates, met the Hurt Locker. I opened the door, let myself in and turned out the lights. The next 1:00.54 was going to be a snot-fest for the record books. I had the fastest bike time for the relays and looking at the overall times, I think 11th. I am super happy with that. I've worked my butt off this off season to improve on my swim and bike. With my FL bike and swim times I am super happy with my improvements thus far. I came into T2 at what felt like 100mph; hopped of the bike, past the chip to Jen Lenarz, aka Psycho Sally, and she was off like a bullet. I felt good at this point. I had been passed by no one on the bike route and I knew Jim smoked the swim. Jen ran like the wind; however the winning team's runner ran 5:33's, are you kidding me!?!? I'm not even sure if I bikes miles that fast. Needless to say, the winning team, all men, us, co-ed. Jen PR'd her 10km time and was super happy with her results. I had a blast with this new team of mine and am looking forward to a late season relay as well. I am waiting for photos from Jen and will have them posted as soon as I get them.

I would like to congratulate Dennis Dane on yet another great race at the Pigman Sprint in Iowa. Dennis, continuing his stellar season finished 4th. Looking forward to racing Hy-Vee with you in a few weeks buddy!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Thanks Mark! You had a sweet race and I am looking forward to seeing how you do this weekend and at Hy-Vee. See you at pool-side.

DD