Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Epic Battle (while, at least in my mind)

Yesterday I was suppose to have the day off of training, sleep in and just relax. Sleeping in didn't happen, Rach got back from a "trip" at 5 am and need a ride home from the airport, so alas I was on the road with Jackster about 4:45 to get her. My day off of training consisted of an 11 mile bike time trial in Medina followed by a 15 minute run with Jmac. As the title of post would suggest, something big happens. Okay its not that big. A buddy, lets call him Dennis had mentioned that he was doing the TNT (Tuesday Night Time Trial) in Medina. The weather looked good when I was leaving work, sunny and little to no wind. So I decided to loaded up the bike and go "ride" the course, but take it easy. By the time I got started on my 11 mile journey, the clouds had rolled in and the humidity had increased; but still no wind. I took almost a minute off of my time from 2 weeks ago and added almost 1 mph to my average. I am seeing some great improvements in my riding and am really happy about it. Dennis, remember him, he beat me 2 weeks ago by 8 seconds; this week 9. What!!!! Here I am feeling good about myself for improving and I am losing ground when I need to be gaining it. Such is racing.
I got word today that my race in Des Moines next weekend has turned from an Olympic distance triathlon (1.5K swim, 40 k bike and 10k run) to a duathlon (10k run, 40k bike and 5k run) I am not overly excited about that changed format, but with the flooding and weather related issues that part of the country is dealing with right now, I am happy that Hy Vee is still able to put on a race. The pros that are trying to qualify for the last remaining Team USA spot will be fun to watch; and from what I hear this run/bike/run format will be much better to spectate.
So far I have had a good week of training, feel good coming off of a great race last Sunday and looking forward to Hy Vee. I need to stay focused on improving my run and continue to improve in the water. From the last post I had, if it wasn't real clear, the elites in this area are really good in the water; all over actually. But I need to be able to keep them in sight coming out of the water to feel like I have a chance. Kind of that out of sight out of mind mentality.

3 comments:

juliemac said...

mark-
love the blog!! You are having a fabulous season! So happy for you. Great attitude about HyVee, you'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Ok, when reading your blog your personality comes through in flying colors! It's almost like I can hear you talking...YIKES! =)

It was great to see you at Liberty. Thanks for cheering us all on!!

EZnJ said...

Hey dude - great blog... you're so much more competitive than you protray yourself to be. You're doing great. let me know when yhou master not letting the elites out of your sights out of the water. :) Tons of luck at HyVee!!!!