Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!

Traditions....what a great thing. For me, my Christmas Eve tradition has always been and will always be frozen pizza and shrimp. For as long as I can remember, we would attend the 5pm service, head back to the house for frozen pizza, pop and gifts prior to heading to my grandparents. My dad would get the fireplace going to burn the wrapping paper and we would sit in the backroom of the house as a family and have our own Christmas, prior to running from house to house to visit relatives.
This year is a little different, but not much. I still got my frozen pizza, no worries mom, and had a beer or 2. As I loaded the truck to head back to WI for the holidays, this is how the year is different. This year I have a multitude of different types of sporting gear to bring home.
Sport 1: Running. I have a marathon that I am "participating" in, not racing, in about 2 weeks. I have done approximately 15 miles a week on average for the last 3 weeks...I should be ready, right??? But I will have a cute little running partner to keep me company as I partake in her 2 hour run on Saturday. Oh how she'll love the roadways of EC and the snow covered trails from my high school cross country days.
Sport 2: Hockey. Evan, my nephew, called the other day and asked if I'd bring my hockey stuff back so him and I, along with his dad, my brother and niece can skate sometime during our stay in WI. Of course, not ever passing up the opportunity to put the ole skates on, plus I really want see how much him and Sophia have improved, I agreed to load those in the truck as well.
Sport 3: Cycling. I have my bike on the trainer in the living room, still in the corner from when it was "adjusted" due to the surprise Christmas tree. As I was planning my return trip home I needed to make sure that I had all of the proper training gear to join Kate with her sessions for the weekend. So, the bike will be dusted off, taken off of the trainer, loaded into Big Red along with her bike and trainer as well.
For those that are keeping score....thats 2 pair of running shoes, a pair of hockey skates, hockey gloves, helmet, stick, 1 adult bike, 1 "kiddie" bike and 2 trainers. I think I have my count correct.
Sport D: Tree Cutting. Perhaps one of my most enjoyable past times, for those that didn't know that, is tree falling. I bought a saw a few years ago to help a buddy clear ATV trails on a gentleman's property a little northwest of Eau Claire. When I bought my home it also came in handy for clearing some pines on my lot as well as helping my sister and brother in-law stock pile oak for the winter months to heat their home. Now that I rent, I have little to no use for the saw, unless my dad needs something tipped over on his lot, which to my luck he does. So, my saw has been placed in the back of the truck too.
As traditions go, a lot has changed for this holiday season for me, but some much has remained the same. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!!

No comments: