Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What the?!?!?

Another long day at work. Another night I come home and want to kick my feet up and hold the couch down as some tv show lulls my into a daze. Another night I am not looking forward to cooking, cleaning, doing laundry; you know all of the standard life and household crap that one has to deal with.
So tonight, other than just having the thought of running, I actually put my gear on and out the door I went. What a great night for a run. Cool, a slight breeze, colorful trees and just me and my thoughts.

The first thought: as I am running past a small road construction project (I should stop and wish a fellow buddy happy birthday, his house was on my route tonight)...than what exactly are they doing to the road? The boulevard looks the same as it did earlier this summer...dug up with pipes resting near holes and cables/wires shooting out of the ground. Clearly something is happening to the area, I wonder what it is.

Second thought: why am I running? What am I running from? What am I training for? Why can't I go home and hold the couch down? I am running to relax, I know it sounds odd. I am running to prep myself for the coming Goofy Challenge, this weekend's Monster Half and the 2010 Mpls Marathon.

3rd thought: When will I turn around and head home? I wondered around the local park and paved trail system and even did a section of cross country running....my favorite by the way.

4th thought (by far the best of the run): when did the church behind my house put a concrete buck statue in the parking lot. Wait? What the?!?!? I stop running and watch an 8 point buck stand perfectly still in the parking lot. I must have watched this deer for 10 minutes, thankfully I was almost home. As the cars zoomed by and went along with their busy lives answering cell phones and text message or the mother yelling at the kids...I stood and watched this gentle looking animal. He didn't seem scared, worried or even concerned with the cars passing by us. As I walked around in the grass getting closer, he simply watched me. I told a fellow walker about what I had been watching, he grumbled some comment on how this animal is impeding his space; that guy was an ass. I ran the rest of the way home and entered through the back door thinking I might see the deer one last time. I walked to the back of the property to the church parking lot; sure enough there he stood on the hill looking back at me. It was a great way to end the run!!

5th thought: during my training this year, I have probably seen more deer than my dad will all year hunting them, ha!!

Michael and I stopping for a photo opt along the run course of IMOO '09

2 comments:

Kate Weaver said...

This is solid proof that there is always an adventure with you. I know how long it takes you to loop the park (much quicker without me on your heels by the way). All of this in 25 minutes? There's never a dull moment with you Mr. Stevenson.

I really hope you keep these blogs up now that you are one a roll...they are very entertaining.

EZnJ said...

I agree with Kate. Your blogs crack me up each time...whether or not that is your goal!! Oh, I haven't seen a scrunchy-face pic in a while...what's the deal-ee-oh?